[permaculture] John McCain Introduces Bill Attacking Consumer Access to Supplements

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 11 14:48:24 EST 2010

*Senator John McCain Introduces Bill Attacking Consumer Access to
Supplements*

This bill would repeal key sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and
Education Act, which guarantees consumers the right to purchase dietary
supplements.

Please contact your senators now to tell them not to co-sponsor this
Anti-Consumer, Anti-Health Freedom Bill.

McCain's so-called Dietary Supplement Safety Act (DSSA) would repeal key
sections of the popular Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act
(DSHEA). It would give the FDA unilateral power, with little or no
scientific justification, to ban vitamin supplements except for those
produced by Big Pharma corporations.

If McCain's bill passes, we can look to Europe for a snapshot of what we
may be in for: EFSA, the European Food Safety Authority, has sharply
reduced the list of available supplements and is in process of reducing
potencies to ridiculous levels, such as less beta carotene than can be
found in half of a large carrot. Europeans already look to the US to
obtain their dietary supplements. If this bill passes, where will we
obtain ours?

Please take action immediately. Tell your senators NOT to co-sponsor the
McCain's anti-consumer legislation and to do everything in their power
to defeat it. Then forward this to your friends and family and ask them
to do the same!

Take action
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MHaRhI%2BRlqFv2rfbIn8tBh%2FneON13gMa>

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog
<http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog
<http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar
<http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>