[permaculture] parasitic nematodes

John Fritz johnfritz77 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 10:40:33 EDT 2010

I have submitted a request to the USDA for a Material Safety Data Statmement on the use of parasitic nematodes, specifically Heterohabditis Bacteriophora and Steinenerma Carpocapse.  The former to primarily control Japanese Beetle, which appears to be decimating my pasture and the latter for control of other such nasties.  Much of what I've read about these two species has been positive but one response (on a different list) said to be careful using these around children and pets that come in direct contact with the soil to which they are applied.  Said that they can penetrate human flesh.  But other than that one anecdote I have not been able to corroborate (sp?) this warning.  I will be waiting for the USDA reply within the next five days but wanted to put the question to this group also for positive or negative results with these parasitic nematodes.  Any feedback is welcome.