[permaculture] hand tools. rocket stoves.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 25 19:46:49 EDT 2009

kris kaul wrote:
> I hope you'll include the hand hoe from Johnny's Seeds among the hand tools:
> http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=292&subcategory=309&item=9187
>
> I was introduced to this tool at Tantre Farm CSA; it apparently is modeled on a Japanese tool (?).  It can be used to slice roots just below the surface for both weeding and harvesting, scoop out soil and bring up quackgrass rhizomes, and make furrows for seeds.  The only disadvantage I found was that its ease of use tempted one to use it for heavier jobs than it was suited for, resulting in breaking off the hoe blade in one instance.

That is a good tool. Korean, maybe also another version from Japan Here is another, the Ho-Mi Korean hand plow:
http://www.luckywonders.com/HomiKoreanHandPlow.htm
http://www.gardenhardware.com/ho-mi-e1.html
The long-handled version:
http://www.allsun.com.au/Longhandlehoes.html

Two good ones in the collection shown at: http://hoecollection.blogspot.com/
Old Asian How - typically ergonomically near-perfect as are most Asian garden tools (I will try to make a similar one)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mHBQJHNtqAU/SVb_ECElGvI/AAAAAAAAFZs/KDj74khoZmE/s1600-h/AsianHoe2.jpg
Plow Hoe from Poland
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7097/108/320/P1010009.jpg

I have a garden hand tools sourcelist (needing a revision) here that you might find interesting:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
See especially the seeding rakes at Sneeboer Tools in Holland. If you find an American distributor for their line of
garden tools let me know.

Have a look at Hida Tool's gardening tool collection:
http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html
See weeder, sickle, hoe, hatchet, trowel and knife - all typically Japanese