[permaculture] Gardening and Horticulture Books at Chest Of Books (free)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 28 01:01:18 EST 2009

Gardening and Horticulture Books

http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/index.html

-Handbook Of Hardy Trees, Shrubs, And Herbaceous Plants | by W. Botting
Hemsley
     The growing love of horticulture, both in England and America, is
continually demanding new hand-books of botanical knowledge. Although a
most attractive science, the study of botany has, until within a very
few years, received but little attention; there have been few scholars
and few teachers. - The garden in which grow the fairest of the children
of nature has been surrounded by an almost impenetrable hedge of
technicalities, of uninteresting de-tail, and seemingly unmeaning
nomenclature; so that few have had the courage to attempt to break
through so formidable a barrier.

-A Woman's Hardy Garden | by Helena Rutherfurd Ely
     This little book is only meant to tell briefly of a few shrubs,
hardy perennials, biennials and annuals of simple culture. I send it
forth, hoping that my readers may find within its pages some help to
plant and make their gardens grow.

-Another Hardy Garden Book | by Helena Rutherfurd Ely
     In writing this little book, I have given only the result of my own
experiences in raising vegetables, fruits and flowers, during a period
of many years. It is not intended to be a treatise upon any of the
subjects referred to, or in any way to take the place of the many
admirable books upon gardening. It is a brief statement of simple
methods of conducting gardening operations, particularly in the small
home garden. If it gives any help, however little, to its readers, and
serves to interest those who are already cultivating their own gardens,
or causes others to make a beginning in the fascinating art, its object
will have been accomplished.

-Commercial Gardening Vol1| by John Weathers (the Editor)
     General Aspects Of Commercial Gardening. The Science Of Plant
Growing. Methods Of Propagation. The Science Of The Soil. Manures And
Manuring. Insect Pests. Garden Friends. Fungoid Diseases. Fungicides And
Insecticides. Glasshouse Building. Heating Apparatus. Potato Plant.

-Commercial Gardening Vol2| by John Weathers (the Editor)
     Hardy And Half-Hardy Herbaceous Plants, Bulbs, And Flowers. Stove
And Greenhouse Plants And Flowers. Abutilon. Ferns.

-Commercial Gardening Vol3| by John Weathers (the Editor)
     Commercial Fruit Growing. Diseases Of Fruit Caused By Fungi.
Grading And Packing Fruit. Pip Fruits: Apples, Pears, Quinces, Medlars.
Apples. Stone Fruits: Plums, Cherries, Peaches, Nectarines, Apricots.
Plums. Figs. Grapes. Nuts. Melons. Garden Surveying, Levelling, And
Mensuration. Market-Garden Accounts.

-Commercial Gardening Vol4| by John Weathers (the Editor)
     Trees, Shrubs, And Woody Climbers. Conifers And Taxads. Vegetable
Growing For Market. Sweet Herbs And Small Salads. French Gardening Or
Intensive Cultivation.

-American Horticultural Manual Vol1 | by J. L. Budd
     The meaning of Horticulture as given by Noah Webster is the
"cultivation of a garden, or the art of cultivating gardens." But modern
advancement has given the word a much broader signification. It now
includes such important divisions as pomology, or fruit-growing,
ornamental and shade trees and shrubs, flowers and their culture, modes
and methods of propagation, landscape gardening, spraying for insects
and fungi, garden and orchard irrigation, systematic pomology, or plant
description and classification, and still other divisions and
subdivisions in varied climes and on different soils...

-American Horticultural Manual Vol2 | by J. L. Budd
     The word Pomology is practically synonymous with fruit-grow ing in
its broad sense as given in Part I. But Systematic Pomology, as now
used, is confined to the classification and description of fruits, and
by usage it also includes the nuts. In the past hundreds of varieties
have been described which are not at this time known to our nursery
lists or to those recommended by the widely distributed State and
District Horticultural Societies. Charles Downing said in 1869: "If it
were only necessary for me to present for the acceptance of my readers a
choice garland of fruits comprising the few sorts that I esteem of the
most priceless value, the space and time occupied would be very brief."...

-Design In Landscape Gardening | by Ralph Rodney Root, Charles Fabens Kelley
     This book is based largely upon lectures offered in the department
of landscape gardening at the University of Illinois. The subject of
plant color and the theory of color planting is given to the public with
some reluctance. In spite of much time and study it still seems
inadequate. The subject is, however, presented from a new standpoint and
it is hoped that other workers in the same field may make much further
progress along the way here pointed out.

-Practical Landscape Gardening | by Robert B. Cridland
     The importance of careful planning - Locating the house -
Arrangement of walks and drives - Construction of walks and drives -
Lawns and terraces - How to plant a property - Laying out a flower
garden - Architectural features of the garden - Rose gardens and hardy
borders - Wild gardens and rock gardens - Planting plans and planting lists

-Common Sense Gardens, How To Plan And Plant Them | by Cornelius V. V.
Sewell
     The following chapters were designed to point out to the owners of
small and unostentatious places a way to plant their grounds and make
their gardens with small expense; to use the best known indigenous trees
and the shrubs and plants that have been identified for so long with
American gardens that they have become American by adoption; and, to
obtain with these, good and lasting effects that will be the means of
ever-increasing enjoyment.

-Gardening In California: Landscape And Flower | by John McLaren
     This handbook is respectfully submitted to gardeners in California,
amateur and professional, as supplementary to, and a modification of
those excellent treatises and encyclopedias on Landscape and Flower
Gardening which have become the authorities and text-books on the
subject, but which were written for the conditions of climate and season
in European countries and the Eastern States of our own land.

-Gardening For Pleasure | by Peter Henderson
     A guide to the amateur in the fruit, vegetable, and flower garden,
with full directions for the greenhouse, conservatory, and window-garden.

-The Garden, You, And I | by Barbara
     This book is for those who in treading the garden path have no
thought of material gain; rather must they give, - from the pocket as
they may, - from the brain much, - and from the heart all, - if they
would drink in full measure this pure joy of living.

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V18 | by Thomas Meehan
     In the North, with the great body of vegetation still shrouded in
snow and the usual habiliments of winter, little can be done in this
department; but in the Southern States gardening operations will be
about commencing actively. Pruning should be completed as soon as
possible. Some judgment is required in pruning flowering shrubs, roses,
etc., although it is usual to act as if it were one of the most
common-place operations. One of the most clumsy of the hands is commonly
set with a shears, and he "goes through" the whole place, clipping off
everything indiscriminately. Distinction should be made between those
flowering shrubs that make a vigorous growth, and those which grow
weakly; and between those which flower on the old wood of last year, and
those which flower on the new growth of next season, as the effect of
pruning is to force a strong and vigorous growth...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V20 | by Thomas Meehan
     An American garden is not particularly attractive in Winter time,
but there is no reason why it should not be so; and when the time comes,
which we look forward to, when there shall be a distinctively American
style of gardening, much more attention will be given to it than there
is now. In our text books of landscape gardening the great anxiety is to
bring out the lights and shadows as cast by the umbrageous foliage of
masses of trees or of fine specimens. The contrasts of brown and grey of
the ground with sunny leaves of the trees, the due proportion of earth,
or sky, or water, the periods of blooming of trees and flowers, or the
tints of color in which Nature clothes herself all about us - these are
the chief concern of the landscape gardener of the books.

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V21 | by Thomas Meehan
     We have often stated that one of the grievous errors of American
gardening is that they are too large. American fortunes are not so
steady. We have a succession of years of prosperity, and among other
luxuries, form a good garden; hut it is hardly put in fair order before
we find that its necessary expenses are too large for our income, and
the establishment runs down. We see these places everywhere. Here are
gardens which ought to have half a dozen men to keep them properly, cut
down perhaps to one laborer, besides the gardener; and the gardeners
engaged are of the cheapest kind, and for all grudgingly paid. It should
never be forgotten that it costs something to keep up a garden as well
as to maintain horses and carriages...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V22 | by Thomas Meehan
     In Philadelphia and many other parts of the eastern section, the
month between the middle of November and middle of December was a very
mild period for an American winter, and the garden in many respects was
very agreeable. Coniferous trees, with their great variety of tints and
habits were particularly beautiful, and since the introduction of
colored-leaved evergreens, suggested possibilities that could not have
been thought of years ago. There are now Golden Retinosporas, Arbor
Vitses and other things, - bronzes, greys and purples, - which would
make excellent combinations...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V23 | by Thomas Meehan
     It is considered one of the reproaches of English gardening that it
is limited to few materials. In some specialties they have great
variety. In coniferous trees for instance, English people ransack the
globe, and give long Latin names to trifling varieties, to swell the
importance of every little form. So in Rhododendrons, and those fibrous
rooting plants which thrive only in porous soil, and to which they give
distinctively the names of "American plants," of which they have many
forms under culture. But in deciduous trees, shrubs and hardy border
plants, one sees the same dozen or so of things over and over again...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V24 | by Thomas Meehan
     In starting on our New Year's journey, it may be well to remind the
reader that gardening is to be followed chiefly for the pleasure we
derive from it. Pretty flowers and handsome trees, beautiful lawns and
artistically designed grounds, are the essential elements of gardening.
As in other rational enjoyments, the more intelligence and mental
culture we throw into the work, the greater enjoyment does gardening
afford. At the present time there is something of a revival in true
gardening taste. Works on art in gardening, publishers tell us, are in
more than usual request, and fine books like "Scott's Suburban Home
Grounds," have a more than usual sale...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V25 | by Thomas Meehan
     Asking a friend, who had a beautiful rural residence, why she did
not plant vines, or creepers as the English would say, over the walls,
she replied by referring to a mutual acquaintance who had done so with
the result of making the walls so damp that the vines had to be cut
away. It so happened that we knew all about the affair. The vines were
allowed to cover the eaves, over the gutters and push their way in under
the shingles of the roof. Thus obstructed, the water made its way down
into the wall, from the top under the roof, and of course the wall was
wet. Vines should always be kept cut down below the roof...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V26 | by Thomas Meehan
     When is the best time to prune my overgrown bushes? asks a
correspondent. The worst time to prune is just after the new growth has
pushed for the season. It has been said, prune whenever the knife is
sharp, but even this generally true remark does not hold good when a
tree is covered with a mass of immature foliage. Nothing weakens a plant
more than to be shorn at that time. In some parts of the country,
vegetation will have pushed by the time this has reached our readers,
but if pruning has been neglected, a thinning out of the branches, to
induce a good shape, may be resorted to, if indeed such trimming may not
be called a form of pruning...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V27 | by Thomas Meehan
     One of our nurserymen recently complained to the writer, of those
people who continually wrote to his firm for advice. " Please send me -,
and at the same time tell me how to treat them," is a sample of numerous
requests. The profit on the whole transaction might be but a dollar or
two. Only for the request, the order would be turned over to the proper
clerk, and the proprietor could turn his attention to profitable work...

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V28 | by Thomas Meehan
     The dotting style of planting trees is cold as well as meager;
nevertheless it has its uses; it shows what individual plants can become
under difficulties. It also brings individual specimens and species into
the sharpest contrast. It has also enabled cultivators to grow the
largest number of species and varieties within a given area. Useful as a
school in which something may be learned about trees, it is worse than
useless as a means of improving landscape effects; nay, more, the
dotting plan mars every landscape on which it is practiced. What play of
light, or shadow, or repose, could be obtained by a series of dots, even
though they consisted of trees faultless in form and symmetry?

-The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V29 | by Thomas Meehan
     Our column of Seasonable Hints differs from other portions of the
magazine in this, that it deals only with that which is known and
admitted as good practice, - while the whole of the other departments is
devoted to progress. We endeavor to find out there that which is new.
There we seek to prove all things and to hold fast to that which is
good. There we desire to give to every reader something that will make
him a more intelligent being, and the more intelligently to deal with
that of which he already knows. Seasonable Hints is rather the friend at
the elbow;

-The Gardener V1 | by William Thomson
     Tips and Articles on Gardening. Articles A-H.

-The Gardener V2 | by William Thomson
     Tips and Articles on Gardening. Articles I-R.

-The Gardener V3 | by William Thomson
     Tips and Articles on Gardening. Articles S-Z.

-The Fruit Cultivator's Manual | by Thomas Bridgeman
     For the cultivation of the most important fruits including the
cranberry, the fig, and grape, with descriptive lists of the most
admired varieties. And a calendar, showing the work necessary to be done
in the orchard and fruit garden every month of the year. The whole
adapted to the climate of the united states.

-Manual Of Tropical And Subtropical Fruits | by Wilson Popenoe
     My intention in preparing the present work has been to bring
together, for the guidance of those who live in the tropical and
subtropical regions of the globe, the available information concerning
the principal fruits cultivated, or which may be cultivated, in those
regions.

-Manual Of Fruit Diseases | by Lex R. Hesler
     It is the common opinion of authorities that fruit-growers lose
millions of dollars annually on account of diseases of their crops. It
has been estimated that 75 per cent of this loss may be prevented by
spraying - the chief method of fruit - disease control...

-Laboratory Manual Of Horticulture | by Ginn And Company
     This manual contains the exercises that have been given in
connection with the work in General Horticulture at the Ohio State
University, Michigan Agricultural College, and University of Nebraska.

-The Florists' Manual | by William Scott
     A Reference Book for Commercial Florists

-Amateur Gardencraft | by Eben E. Rexford
     A Book For The Home-Maker And Garden Lover

-A Practical Handbook Of Trees, Shrubs, Vines And Herbaceous Perennials
| by John Kirkegaard
     In the preparation of this volume, the purpose continually in the
mind of the author has been to afford a simple and convenient reference
book of the ornamental trees and plants hardy in this climate; simple,
yet concise, a guide valuable not only to the amateur, but to the busy
architect, gardener or plantsman as well. Its form has been suggested by
the needs encountered during a long period of private and commercial
association with plants, when the material here set forth would at times
have been most useful.

-Town Planting And The Trees, Shrubs, Herbaceous And Other Plants That
Are Best Adapted For Resisting Smoke | by Angus D. Webster
     Having charge of the grounds of many public buildings in several of
the worst smoke-infested parts of London, exceptional opportunities have
been afforded me of getting together a list of the most suitable trees,
shrubs, and other plants for withstanding the impurities of a town
atmosphere and also of studying the conditions under which they may be
most successfully cultivated. The need of such a work will be understood
when it is stated that in the County of London alone there are 116
square miles of houses and streets.

-The Fruit Manual; Containing The Descriptions and synonymes of the
fruits and fruit trees commonly met with in the gardens & orchards of
Great Britain, with selected lists of those most worthy of cultivation
     This volume's objective was to prepare a convenient manual of
reference for amateur fruit-growers, nurserymen, and professional
gardeners, and to condense in a space as small as possible all useful
information respecting the varieties of fruits mentioned.

-The Fruit Manual: Containing The Descriptions And Synonyms Of The
Fruits And Fruit Trees Of Great Britain | by Robert Hogg
     It is twenty-four years since this work was first published, and
during the first fifteen of that period it passed through three large
editions. The fourth appeared nine years ago, and that has long since
been out of print. I have now finished the Fifth Edition, in which will
be found a great deal of new matter, enlarging the work to upwards of
150 pages more than there were in the last.

-Guide To Hardy Fruits And Ornamentals | by Thomas Joseph Dwyer
     The author has been constantly associated in every conceivable way
with the hardy fruits and ornamentals for over thirty years. He has
thought, talked and written about them daily during that period;
moreover, he has lived in their midst all this time, has handled and
cared for them from the bud and scion to the fruit and flower. For some
time past he has longed for an opportunity to tell the story that follows.

-The Planting, Cultivation And Expression Of Coconuts, Kernels, Cacao
And Edible Vegetable Oils And Seeds Of Commerce | by H. Osman Newland
     Few people realise how important to us and to the world at large
are the products of the oil-yielding trees and plants contained within
the Empire. The Germans, although they had wisely accumulated large
reserves of the vegetable fats and oils- mostly from our own and their
lost African empire- have recently suffered through lack of these
precious stuffs, while the British official statement during the war
that glycerine was no longer to be supplied to chemists, showed clearly
how want of foresight added to the difficulties of the war on our part.

-The Complete Garden
     The author has for some time felt that there was needed in the
landscape field, especially by the amateur gardener, a book of this
type. He has believed that such a book would be of value to everyone who
is interested in the important work of landscape plantings, not only to
the amateur but to the expert gardener and to the property owner who has
made an exhaustive study of plant uses and plant adaptations.

-The Wild Garden | by W. Robinson
     Or our Groves and Gardens made beautiful by the Naturalisation of
Hardy Exotic Plants ; being one way onwards from the Dark Ages of Flower
Gardening, with suggestions for the Regeneration of the Bare Borders of
the London Parks.

-The Chronicles Of A Garden: Its Pets And Its Pleasures | by Miss
Henrietta Wilson
     Much has been written of late on small farms, and the profits
thereof. Reading such works is pleasant and tempting, and sometimes one
is inclined to wonder whether any profit could be made out of a
shrubbery and garden of two acres. Thus cogitating one day, it came into
my head to endeavour to record the pleasures of which these two acres
have been the source; and surely in this world of care, and toil, and
anxiety, what is a daily source of enjoyment may be counted profitable
also...

-Farm And Garden Rule-Book | by L. H. Bailey
     A manual of ready rules and reference with recipes, precepts,
formulas, and tabular information for the use of general farmers, ...
and others in the United States and Canada