[permaculture] Fwd: Copyright Infringement on PERMACULTURE: ADesigners Manual

fdnokes at hotmail.com fdnokes at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:01:54 EST 2009

An excellent suggestion for those with access to libraries.
I am a huge user of the library myself, including inter-library loan.
That would respect the needs of the author.
I believe that we have to consider the situation from the point of view of
the provider.
By taking time to provide a service, a person needs to know that their basic
life needs will be provided for.
A form of barter, if you squint at it.
And so, if we take away their livelihood, then we are also taking away their
time to do the task which we desire.

Interestingly enough, I was having a similar conversation with a friend who
runs a bottle return centre. People come and expect to be able to return all
manner of things and are sometimes rather rude when they cannot, or do leave
their things behind anyhow. I think the point they need to consider is that
these people would not be providing this service of taking their bottles and
giving them money if they were not able to, in turn, take these bottles and
receive money for them. It's a question of considering the practical nature
of another's existence.
On the other hand, I told my friend that I would help her research the right
places for people to take the things that she cannot. As they are in a
position to publicize this information on a regular basis, it is well worth
the effort.

We all come from different 'eco-systems'. Perhaps we need to realize that
the solutions in one domain (living freely without money) are not
necessarily the solutions in another (needing to enforce copyright to make a
living).

Am I missing some vital pieces of information in my guess at what is true in
this situation?

If not, I hope this helps.

Frances