[permaculture] quistions about big dry toilet

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Sun Nov 8 16:44:09 EST 2009

Did you read the Humanure Handbook? Read again!

To use at all, humanure must be hot-composted. If in doubt, spend a
couple years learning how to successfully make hot compost, and
*then* incorporate humanure into the hot composting system. Some
people won't use on crops ever, only on ornamentals. Never
recommended for leaf or root crops! Others will let it sit 2 years,
have it tested, then decide.

I don't understand why you need to use a big barrel, but it sounds
like that would involve anaerobic composting, which is usually not
recommended.

Urine is a different matter. If collected from healthy people who are
not taking anything that would harm plants, it can be diluted and
used immediately (not directly on crops, but for fruit trees etc.).
Or it can be added to compost pile.
It can't be separated later; it must be *collected* separately.