[permaculture] QRY: Evidence of reforestation increasing rainfall?

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Thu May 28 11:11:05 EDT 2009

Chris,
I just posted to my blog the story about forest restoration in Borneo
that has resulted in a return of rain documented with satellite imaging
over a period of years. It's a good place to start.

      Willie Smits restores a rainforest
      <http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/2009/05/willie-smits-restores-rainforest.html>

Keith

Chris Wardle wrote:
> I'm running into a research stumbling block and wonder if this
> somewhat public musing could tap into the greater wisdom accessible
> through cyber-networking?
>
> But first some background ...
>
> A month or so ago I was doing some bushwalking in the North-East of
> Pakistan's Balochistan Province, with one of my younger
> brothers-in-law, Danish. As we reached the top of a large mesa-like
> hill called Dhera and looked out at his - and my beloved's - home
> village of Phugla to the north, we were struck by how few trees we
> saw.
>
> This got us to chatting about climate change, the area's potential for
> agro-forestry, and the possible impact of large scale tree planting on
> the weather pattern.
>
> Within twenty kilometres to the northwest, native Olive trees thrive
> in the area's sandy soils and hot summer, which prompted me to ask,
> "With a similar climate and soil, why don't people look to plant
> commercial Olive varieties here?"
>
> It was a question we later repeated with community members and their
> answers seemed to confirm our prediction that it rested somewhere
> between:
>
> * a lack of awareness,
>
> * an unwillingness to collaborate or experiment, and
>
> * no patience to wait for the long-term gains offered through agro-forestry.
>
> Well, these are challenges we'll return to another time, but as we
> discussed climate change, Danish noted that there was much more
> reliable rainfall fifteen to twenty years ago and remarked that if
> tree loss accounted for a decrease in rainfall, would reforestation
> improve the rainfall pattern and how much effort would people have to
> put in, to effect real change?
>
> "Specifically," he asked, "how many trees would every person in this
> community have to plant, in order to increase our rainfall - five,
> ten, fifty trees each?"
>
> In answering I said I didn't know, but thought it might be in the
> order of thousands, but that was just a very rough guess and I would
> go and find out for him.
>
> So, after a very long introduction, here's my question:
>
> Is there any well-documented evidence that reforestation mitigates the
> negative impacts of climate change by increasing rainfall, and on what
> sort of scale do we begin to see such effects, if they exist?
>
> When I look at policy-level climate change mitigation strategies, I
> consistently read that we need to plant more trees, but this seems to
> be based on documented evidence of tree loss. Sure, there is evidence
> that tree planting decreases erosion and increases soil moisture
> retention, but I am yet to find references to positive rainfall gains
> from reforestation.
>
> Please don't get me wrong, I'm very much on board with this issue. In
> the previous century I've encouraged and worked with my children on
> community tree plantings in my home town of Darwin and on saving the
> [...]

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
- Permaculture Activist <http://www.permacultureactivist.net/>
- Permaculture Trading Post <http://www.permaculturetradingpost.com/>
- Patterns for Abundance Design & Consulting
<http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html>
- Permaculture & Regenerative Design News Blog
<http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/>
- APPLE (Alliance for Post-Petroleum Local Economics) It's a small world
after oil. <http://www.relocalize.net/groups/applebloomington>

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog
<http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- Association for Regenerative Culture <http://www.arculture.org/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog
<http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar
<http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>