[permaculture] rock dust - questions to ask a supplier

Wendy S. Yu creeksinger at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 22:30:08 EST 2009

Hi everyone who's been weighing in on the rock dust discussion.  I have found a local quarry (two actually, run by the same company) and have received the following information from them:

They produce dust from "crushing aggregates that are typically used to produce Hot Mix Asphalt."  They provided gradation information that indicated I could obtain the following:

  Sieve Size

  Percent Passing

  Granite Specification

  75 µm               (No.
  200)

  10

  5 - 15

The size looks right according to what I've read, but what do I need to ask them re: what kinds of rock makes up the mix?  Somewhere I had come across something that warned against something used in ReadyMix, but if I recall correctly that mostly had to do with size. Yes?

Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of what kind of rock makes up their aggregate?  Or am I pretty much ok if I find out that this is just your average river rock? (if there is such a thing as average river rock)

I suppose a basic question is going to be what a minimum order is (and then I'll have to find a truck to borrow and a lot of other gardeners to share with if it's one ton!).

Thanks all!

Wendy