[permaculture] Large scale farming - sustainable? Profitable?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 21 13:34:55 EST 2009

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
But my point was that there is ample land for the world's
population....IF we adopt ecologically sound lifestyles, like permaculture,
utilize existing tools and technology to get us started, and redefine
what wealth means, moving from a linear economics of scarcity
to a cyclical life of abundance.
It's certainly a tall order, but it's a wonderful paradigm shift, and I
hope more folks find it soon.
=========================

Very well said! Classic. That sums it up. I would add the detain about
the need for paying attention to local economies, in paprt to reduce the
energy factor, i.e. walk to work, walk to shopping or at least not
travel so far and have to spend so much time.
The following is a little off topic but pertinent to the discussion, at
lease as far as self help and local economies are concerned. After all,
this thread was about making a living on a permaculture farm (new name
for market farm).

Here's a new thread I started in Practical Machinist, talk about cross
pollination between entire forum sites! This idea applies to market
farmers too, informal trade associations. You might enjoy this:

Emphasis on production in American manufacturing.
New Republic/BB article.
Cory Doctorow
POSTED AT 9:50 PM December 20, 2009
Business • business • maker • management • manufacturing • mba • usa
http://www.tnr.com/article/economy/wagoner-henderson

"America can't make things because managers all learn finance instead of
production.

In a provocative New Republic article, Noam Scheiber proposes that the
collapse of American manufacturing is due to a general shift in
management to people who have MBAs, and to a shift in MBA programs to an
emphasis on finance instead of production:

Since 1965, the percentage of graduates of highly-ranked business
schools who go into consulting and financial services has doubled, from
about one-third to about two-thirds. And while some of these consultants
and financiers end up in the manufacturing sector, in some respects
that's the problem. Harvard business professor Rakesh Khurana, with whom
I discussed these questions at length, observes that most of GM's top
executives in recent decades hailed from a finance rather than an
operations background. (Outgoing GM CEO Fritz Henderson and his failed
predecessor, Rick Wagoner, both worked their way up from the company's
vaunted Treasurer's office.) But these executives were frequently numb
to the sorts of innovations that enable high-quality production at low
cost. As Khurana quips, "That's how you end up with GM rather than Toyota.""

Upper Mismanagement (via Making Light)
http://www.tnr.com/article/economy/wagoner-henderson

Previously:
* MBAs: Most Bloody Awful, Aussie radio documentary on the problem ...
* The MBA/B.Eng Rosetta Stone - Boing Boing
* People more prone to lie in email? - Boing Boing