[permaculture] new article: concerns about the way most people raise chickens

Marjory forestgarden at gvtc.com
Wed Aug 5 12:32:06 EDT 2009

Hi Paul,

That is an excellent article.  I had a few good laughs recalling a
similar journey we've been on.  The chicken tractor which was touted as
the cure-all for everything turned out to be just too much work.  And
the photos of poop and ripped up mulch!  LOL.  I too have come to the
conclusion that rotating between four or so semi-permanent pens is the
way to go for the next round of chickens we have.  At the moment we have
a completely true free range flock which I invested time in getting them
roosting and generally living in an area away from the house - yes, they
normally would love to live and roost right by us and shit over
everything if they could.   We have enough room for them to be away from
us, and I raised them as chicks under the tree I wanted them to roost
in.  I also use the ambitions of my young son and his BB gun to keep the
chickens away from the house.  Any birds that cause trouble in the
gardens or orchard or are mean, get eaten right away - and the entire
flock does learn from that.  So I am pretty happy with my true range
flock.  But if I ever need to setup somewhere else, I would do the
rotating paddocks planted with periennials that feed the chickens.

Thanks for the posting.

Marjory