[permaculture] Bioswales, Open Space, Recreation - all in one place?

Kevin Topek ktopek at att.net
Sun Nov 2 20:24:10 EST 2008

Lawrence & David,

I'm flattered, but know that I know little. A bioswale can contain
decomposing and living material to remediate several kinds of toxins.
The biodegradation system needs to be designed with regard to flow
rates, flow volumes, ambient temperatures and potential toxins
involved. As with all systems, the prevailing conditions dictate the
path to solving the problem issues. Some toxins are best remediated by
bacteria, some by slime molds and some by fungi. I have also observed
that some systems that adsorb toxins on hard surfaces, such as rocks,
degrade those toxins very rapidly and efficiently by biodegrading
organisms, such as bacteria, in the absence of organic substrates,
such as compost. Each system needs a specially designed solution!

Kevin Topek
Permaculture Design LLC
www.permaculturedesign.net
713.206.2400