[permaculture] Permaculture sites in the NW?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Sat Jun 7 20:05:20 EDT 2008

Jody Troupe wrote:
> And, just a heads' up on visiting some of the places, at least in our
> experience. It would be worth calling ahead so they know you're
> coming. We showed up at the Bullocks on Orcas Island 3 years ago in
> early June, unannounced, and found no one there except 2 interns.

Sage advice, Jody, and the polite thing to do. I've had folks from OAEC,
RDI, and the Bullocks' rant at me about people showing up unannounced,
expecting a tour. It's their home! It happens often enough to piss them
off.  Call ahead and see if it fits into their schedule, offer a
donation or to work for them in exchange, and be sensitive to their
needs. These busy folks are doing important work, and the world loses
when they are pulled away from it.

Toby