[permaculture] rainwater and potability in large cities

Douglas Barnes duckrace2000 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 4 15:39:07 EDT 2008

Hello,

I've have the same concern about this myself. I used to live in Tokyo and dioxin fallout was and is a concern there. I asked Bill Mollison about rainwater harvesting in this sort of environment and he said that the only thing you can do in areas of dioxin contamination is move. Ultimately, I did just that.

As far as dioxins go, if they are a pollutant in your area, you can't do much to avoid them. They will be in local produce and in local water. There will be other particulate matter too - fallout from diesel engines, from industry, etc. I had hoped that I could get some of Tokyo's rainwater tested via a contact at the agricultural university in Tokyo, but it never materialised.

For Tokyo, one would be making a comparison for which rainwater collection system would be cleaner: rooftop or city reservoir. I've walked around the Saiyama reservoir in Tokorozawa (though I wasn't supposed to) and being a dam, it just harvests rainfall. I'll formulate the question of which is safer by including what I saw in and around the reservoir: Is it safer to harvest water off of a steel or clay roof, or is it safer to let it filter though the ground and all the appliances, batteries and old cars that the residents living around the reservoir illegally dumped?

 Douglas JE Barnes
EcoEdge Design
http://www.ecoedge.ca
dbarnes at ecoedge.ca