[permaculture] SSE again

Marshall Chrostowski mcfarm at silcom.com
Mon Jan 21 14:14:23 EST 2008

 Jay, yes this is a flawed world and a world filled with well-meaning people rushing about doing good works. Most anyone can learn to save seed and acquire the means of growing, selecting, protecting, harvesting, processing and storing seed -- year after year after year after year. How many of us have the time, opportunity and perserverence to conserve unique, mostly annual plant materials over many years? The reality is closer to the situation where relatively few people grow a relatively small roster of seed types more or less readily available.

I now get that you really don't understand the SSE's role and functioning in conservation of heirloom and traditional varieties. The single organization works closely with similar organization in country and abroad as well as national governments. Yes, there is a large number of seed stored at Heritage Farm but samples of many of these have been donated from other holders of same seeds and many others have been distributed to listed members who grow them out and conserve them. Other varieties have been introduced into the commercial seed trade. This is a dynamic  and living conservation effort. Yes, it would be cheaper to deep freeze germplasm to available for future plant breeding. Is this to be the end result of 10,000 years of crop selection by farmers and horticulturists from many parts of the world?

Marshall

Message: 9