[permaculture] which less impact? - steel bottles or occasional plastic?

Adrienne Rayna rocknrayna at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 16:38:13 EST 2008

The problem with discerning 'impact' of anything is that you must consider the impact of materials and processes of production, , the just or unjust labor, the energy of transporting and marketing an item, the impact of use as well as the impact of  disposal or recycling processes.  It's never a simple answer.  If the canteen can be used for many generations over and over maybe its not so bad?

Adrienne

Harmon Seaver <hseaver at gmail.com> wrote: David Glober wrote:
> Esteemed List:
>
> Some one suggested to me recently that my stainless steel Klean Kanteen bottle has more embedded energy in it, and therefore more impacts, than mounds of plastic bottles, and if I need to take water with me on long walks or hikes, I'm better off reusing plastic.
>
> http://www.kleankanteen.com/
>
> I'm new to the list, so sorry if this is a recent topic. Facts and info would be appreciated.
>
> Also - does this make a Thermos bottle a bad idea for soup or tea?
>
> Thanks - david glober, san francisco

    Whoever told you that is an idiot. The energy is totally irrelevant.
Plastic bottles are very unhealthy, they leach nasty things into the
beverage. Use steel bottles, or, if you have to use plastic, use only
HDPE or polypropylene, nothing else is even remotely safe, especially
not those nagalene (lexan) water bottles sold to campers, hikers, etc.
Steel is best, I've got a nice Nissan stainless bottle for cold water,
and another for hot stuff.

--
Harmon Seaver
Subscribe or unsubscribe here: