[permaculture] what makes black locust last so long?

Niels Corfield mudguard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 14:33:25 EDT 2008

My money's on chemicals. It'll have to be a high resin content reckon.
I recently came 3rd in a head-to-head of the best firewoods and that was
behind a couple of oaks that like grow 5-times slower!
So that may well point to density also.
I don't think it's allelopathic, that's not listed anywhere. It's not an
aromatic wood also, like cedar. But basically it's not treated, so I
think it'll be great as a border. After all you wouldn't think twice
about putting untreated oak in that position, so why black locust.
I think walnut which is known for it's allelopathy is still fine for
pole wood etc. Though way too high value for that application but safe
for plants as a timber.
Why not direct your question directly to Geoff Lawton, or PRI forum, or
in the UK: Phil Corbett (Cool Temperate) or Martin Crawford (ART).
You could ask Elaine Ingham also.
My feeling though is it's safe to use in that application. Especially as
treated timber/reclaimed rail sleepers are commonly used for raised
beds, which /do/ leach their toxins into the soil. This one's gotta be
better.
Just wish I had a nice stand of it nearby for a similar application.
BTW, love that tree.

Cheers,
Niels

My Bookmarks: