[permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming

KNat knat at sprintmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:50:05 EDT 2007

yarrow at sfo.com wrote:

> The number-one thing everyone can do is to eat lower on the food
> chain. We could reduce greenhouse gases by about half within a year
> or two by stopping the breeding and eating of livestock.

Anyone have good resources on write ups of the impact of animals in
biodynamic setting. My daughter is looking for articles on animals in
homestead settings to round out a similar discussion on vegetarianism
for global CO2 reduction..
(some background, our life choices have led us to raise our own animals
(small so far) and the articles seem to get caught up in factory farms.
Her view is animals are respectfully raised as members here and have
many roles including continued contribution after death.)
She (and I) are discussing raising enough protein for ourselves instead
of pasture vs using rocky hillside for goats and goats for fertilizer,
milk, meat, laborers (packs and carts), leather, bone tools and soil
additives. As you can imagine from that list, the sacrifice to become
meat is more likely a sheep than a goat since goats do part of the labor
and the sheep are passive contributors who require more protection, but
males are hard to live with. It's pretty easy to balance w goats, sheep,
chickens if males don't stay long.We have steep slopes and lots of
brambly brush. Anyone have plan ideas for rocky, brushy, hillside
lifestyle that doesn't have humans harvesting other animals? Does that
even make sense?

Kathyann