[permaculture] more on honeybees

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Thu Mar 8 07:39:17 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 9:30 am, lbsaltzman at aol.com wrote:
> I think the post is on to something. The mass trucking of honeybee hives is
> starting to sound like bee monoculture which makes the problems not
> surprising.

 <75 lines snipped>

 Honey bees tend to remove themselves from mono-cultural practices
 by their very nature.  Every year they cross breed (well, the most
 important boy and girl from a given hive) to produce the fittest new
 generation.

 The two biggest diseases we used to face here in Australia (yes, I do
 understand that it's not kosher to mention what f.country you're
 in when you're describing your place of origin)  were both foul broods
 (A and E varieties).  New variations are but a blip on the proverbial,
 at least for the time-being.

 Jedd.

 PS.  Anyone who prevents me from getting onto the emergency
 mobile phone number by ''trying it out' .. will be haunted by
 the ghost of jedds past.