[permaculture] Driver Ticketed for Using Biofuel

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Fri Jun 15 14:21:32 EDT 2007

lbsaltzman at aol.com wrote:

> I certainly think what they did to this person stinks. But I want to raise a question about his or her actions. Is buying oil for a car that is meant as human food actually sustainable and a good idea? It is one thing to use recycled cooking oil and it is another thing to use new cooking oil.  I am somewhat dubious about growing fuel crops altogether.  With time and effort perhaps this can be done sustainably on land not well suited to crops, but the way we are going all that is happening is that food prices are being driven up and rain forests are being cut down to feed cars not people.

With the exception of biodiesel crops the rest is worthless and damaging to the environment and the economy, not to
mention wasteful of all resources that went in to growing these crops when they could have been put to better use like
diverse food cropping.

In case you haven't noticed the rising value of corn used for alcohol fuel production will make corn used
for food go up also, possibly dramatically. This will make food prices go up and the food service industry will be
greatly affected as will consumers forced to pay higher prices for products. Add to that the fact that most of the corn
grown is GMO and herbicides are used to grow it guess who benefits in a big way? Answer: Monsanto and other biotech and
pesticide manufacturing corporations. Grow more corn for ethanol crops, help the friendly (NOT) folks at Monsanto and
other producers of these abominations.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm