[permaculture] Community Building

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 00:09:18 EDT 2007

This article was nothing to have?a cow over.? This was a short high level introduction to the difficulties of community building and suggesting that skills in conflict resolution and interpersonal relationships will be extremely important.? She is not just preaching to the choir, as?many intentional communities have failed on personal conflict and not many of us have had the experience of living in communities that have been intact and functioning for multiple generations.? There will also be many groups coming together as time goes on who are ill-prepared to live in community and will be ill-prepared to have the skills to survive.? Many of them need to? hear the message.

I think we have well established that humans are capable of extremely disfunctional community systems.? I got to spend some time once with the Maori in New Zealand and was impressed that in their meeting houses they had a mess of mattresses. they told my wife and I that when there are problems and conflicts in the community everybody came to the meeting room and they would spend up to a week if necessary to reach a consensus on the problem. Every member of the community from the young to the elderly got to speak as long as necessary.?

Many cultures have evolved elaborate methods for handling conflict, stress and problems. It ain't easy.? It is important for people to understand how difficult this is and to understand we may be facing more difficult times than most American have faced since the 1930s.? We are ill-prepared to? handle what is coming as a nation and facing reality is not a bad thing.?

We need people that conceptually analyze the big picture and people who provide specific details.? I find Carolyn Baker's writing to be provocative and contain messages that a lot of people need to hear.? If you think you can build on her work and come up with more detailed solutions to the extraordinary difficulty of reconstructing healthy community go for it.? I am happy that somebody is even pointing it out and providing an historical context for the problem.