[permaculture] Seed Starting Supplies & Soil blocks

mIEKAL aND dtv at mwt.net
Wed Jul 18 10:27:53 EDT 2007

I row-plant species that I can choose when to plant, but a big part
of what I grow is given away to young gardeners & folks wanting to
add to their plantings, & there is nothing more portable & giveable
all summer long than a potted plant.

Another issue for me is that I grow species that are marginally hardy
in this zone (4b) &  putting away everything the first winter in an
unheated basement reduces winterkill markedly.  For instance, I lost
all the seedling paw paws that I planted out in a row, whereas the
ones that got potted & stored in the basement did really well.  &
anything row-planted here in the land of ten thousand rabbits needs
to be caged as well.

~mIEKAL