[permaculture] Fermented foods

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Jan 8 02:57:34 EST 2007

Steve Hoog wrote:

> Lawrence--Altho i don't know the specific recipe you are referring to i've worked with oat  flakes.
> Put a cup or two of  rolled oats in a bowl.  Add something salty like a tablespoon of miso or soy sauce.
> they keep the harmful bacteria down and start the fermentation.  Add a small amount of 2-3 chopped vegetables-maybe some seeds.

Red pepper or red chiles, scallions, mustard greens, daikon, garlic? The things they add to kim chee.
Sesame or sunflower seeds? Ann Wigmore has a recipe for seed cheese made from ground
sunflower seeds and rejuvelac - maybe this would be similar to tempeh w/o the nice nutty flavor.

> i've also added carob .  Let it sit 3-4 days. Stir it thoroughly 1-2 a day.  After it starts to turn sour-refrigerate.
> Use it as a side dish or pickle.   Or soup?You could probably do the same  with wheat bran also.---steve h

This sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it. Truly healthy food.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net