[permaculture] "sustainable ag" series for KBCS news

Thomas Allen thallen at nwlink.com
Sun Feb 25 16:21:08 EST 2007

Thanks for the inquiry. See request for information below links.

> Could you send us a link to these programs if they are downloadable?
> I'd like to take a listen, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

KBCS main archive page:
http://kbcs.fm/site/PageServer?pagename=oneworldreport

Eventually I'll get all the programs on radio4all where its easier to
navigate than on the KBCS pages.
radio4all.net
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=producer-
info&uid=2968&nav=producer-directory&

Links to individual programs:

St. Patrick Watches Rome Fall
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20060316/
OWR_20060316_St_Patrick.mp3

Heinberg on Oil pt.s 2&3 - All 4 to be posted to radio4all shortly
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20060420/
OWR_20060420_PeakOil_TomAllen.mp3

http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20060427/
OWR_20060427_PeakOil_Part3_TomAllen.mp3

Oil for Food in America
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program-
info&program_id=21603&nav=producer-directory&

Costa Rican Coffee, Biodiesel & Permaculture
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20061116/
OWR_20061116_Permaculture_TA.mp3

Govt. Regs. Thwart Food Localization Efforts
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program-
info&program_id=21773&nav=producer-directory&

What is Permaculture?
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20061228/
OWR_20061221_Permaculture_TA.mp3

Portland Stares Down Global Warming
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20070208/
OWR_20070207_Why_Portland_TA.mp3

Request for Information
I want to do a story on the seed monopoly issue that cropped up on the
list last week.

I'll air it next Thursday, Mar. 1, if I can get all the information
together in time. I sent a query email to Grain asking for sources and
had a couple of questions they might not be able to answer. Perhaps
people on this list can help.

1. Will WTO imposed monopolies on seeds extend to heirlooms? Are they
already controlled in UK and EU?

2. What will be the extent of the negative effects on seed savers and
purveyors like Seed Savers Exchange or on Peace Seeds who propagate
cultivars not normally in commercial channels?

3. Could the farm bill up for renewal in US Congress this year be used
to block such action by WTO?

4. Is this a wish list or has the measure gotten real traction?

> Also, have you gotten any feedback on the pieces, and have they
> opened folks' minds?
I have gotten feedback on the programs and it has been universally
positive with one exception--when I questioned the efficacy of
biodiesel and ethanol as a solution to our motor fuel problem. That
said, most of the feedback has been from activists working in the areas
I've explored on the air. So, as with so many of us, I'm usually
preaching to the choir. But then, the choir needs a pep talk now and
again.

There is one group for whom the information is almost entirely new.
Ironically, it's the station staff and other public affairs volunteers.
They're mostly young....20s, early 30s and focused on social justice
issues. They like to cover protests, demonstrations, urban
gentrification, Lt. Watada's trial at Ft. Louis and the like.

In my view these stories are symptoms of a much larger structural
problem, that is the global activities of international finance and
corporations. Even what I do is covering symptoms to a degree but
hopefully closer to the roots. I try to encourage solutions that get at
the roots, cultivate the mycelium unseen at the surface and nurture the
soil in which solutions can grow. That focus isn't lost on the choir I
believe but may be too subtle for the rest. Hopefully, the choir will
explain it to them.
Here are some links to my programs: