[permaculture] Invisible Structures Information

Sean Maley semaley at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 10:55:35 EST 2007

Very well said, Paul.

> The desire for 'apartness'

 O God of earth and altar,
      Bow down and hear our cry,
Our earthly rulers falter,
      Our people drift and die;
The walls of gold entomb us,
      The swords of scorn divide,
Take not thy thunder from us,
      But take away our pride.
- G.K. Chesterton

When we all come together with a desire for completeness over selfish necessity, we uncover a viable design, given the paradoxes we must overcome.  When we can shed the Marxist, Hippie, Capitalist, Yuppie, Anarchist, and whatever labels, we can see the whole that has always been there.  I envision Anarchists discussing business endeavors; Libertarians trying to figure out how to address the social needs of the underprivileged; Marxists discussing independent business ventures of their own and others;  on and on and on.

To some extent, I'm seeing all of this happen.  I'm just waiting for the epiphanies making the intellectual transition complete.  Part of this pertains to a major paradigm leap from separation and ego to one of mutual support.  I make a distinction between mutual 'aid' and mutual 'support', as 'aid' implies separation to me, where 'support' implies being a part of a whole.  When the 'left' joins the 'right' and the 'conservative' unites with the 'liberal', I know this leap has been made.  I cringe hearing words like "progressive" and "growth", as I know permanence implies no more progress or growth can be tolerated.

Achieving this leap also requires a similar leap as when humanity realized that the earth was not the center of the universe.  Specifically, humanity isn't the center of the natural world on Earth.  Humanity isn't even something favored by evolution, but more along the lines of endless transitions that can't go through minimal simplicity, so have eventually resulted in less stable forms leading to humanity.  We aren't even the only tool or language users.  It's great for us to be a part of Earth, but it should never be at the expense of entire ecosystems to create food systems supporting yet more people (civilization isolates people from nature and destroys ecosystems to create food systems for the separated people).

-Sean.