[permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement...

Chris Jackson sidgeydog at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 13:59:21 EST 2007


On the contraception issue, read any edible, medicinal
plant book and you will find many herbs were used as
contraceptives.  From what I've read about indigenous
cultures, they enjoyed a good deal of sex, but also
were very concious of cycles and of using plants to
limit population.  It seems that much of this has to
do with women having more choice.  I personally feel
that demonizing sex in and of itself is harmful.  We
need to instead look at our cultures view of it,
especially the objectivication of women, and on the
flip side, the attitude that something as natural and
beautiful as sex is impure and harmful.
--- Gregory Konger <gjkonger at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Primal Parent <primalparent at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
> >> > I must take issue with the assumption that
> being celibate somehow assumes conservation of
> resources. 
> 
> >>An example: the Catholic priest who lives across
> the street from where I work. He weighs in around
> 250 lbs. He has an >>SUV and a Harley. Does not
> recycle. Or attempt to limit his utilities. Buys a
> $4 caramel latte everyday. A few years ago I >>was
> behind him in the grocery and he had a cart full of
> tv dinners, Hostess cup cakes, diet coke, and
> tabloid newspapers. >>Oh, plus a carton of
> smokes....
> 
> >>I would be willing to wager that his impact on the
> environment is greater than my friend who lives in
> the woods w/o >>electricity, grows most of her own
> food (edible landscaped) and occasionally hunts for
> meat....and enjoys sex. 
>  
> Evidently, that priest wasn't denying himself very
> well.
>  
> None of us is perfect.  We all need to do more to
> lessen our impact since there is over 6 billion
> people in the world.  If we show the world that sex
> is so wonderful, curious and careless minds will
> want to try it causing us more problems.  I know
> from my own personal experience that sex isn't that
> wonderful.  Consenting adults should only have sex
> to bring a child into the world as long as it
> doesn't stress the community.
> 
> >I would also like to add that native/indigenous
> peoples managed to more or less check population
> growth for tens of >thousands of years without
> industrial products like condoms, the pill or other
> birth control devices.
> 
> Good.  Abstinence is even better.  You don't have
> near jealousy or covetousness with abstinence.  For
> example, if someone is unable to have sex because of
> a birth defect or because no one wants them, won't
> they feel left out when the ones who do have it brag
> about how wonderful it is.  I am sure the indigenous
> people had their quibbles or violent fights over
> love affairs if they enjoyed sex like you say they
> did.  You see animals fighting in the wild all of
> the time over the right to have sex.  I came to the
> conclusion it is not worth it.  I feel like less of
> a threat when I don't have it. Peace.
>  
> Greg Konger
> 
> 
>      
>
____________________________________________________________________________________
> Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page. 
> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
> _______________________________________________
> permaculture mailing list
> permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subscribe or unsubscribe here:
>
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/permaculture
> Google command to search archives:
> site:http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture
> searchstring
> 
> 
> 



      ____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping



More information about the permaculture mailing list