[permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement atitsorigin and the

David david at h4c.org
Wed Dec 26 20:09:53 EST 2007

Friends,

Healing Hawk wrote:
> Protestantism wasn't just about the Inquisition.  It was about that "only
> way to God" fundamentalism thing that a lot of churches still preach today.
> Accessing God does not seem to require religion at all.  Only the ability to
> pay attention is required, it seems to me.

Protestantism (for the most part) started in Germany in the mid 1500's
by Luther, following his analysis of various abuses (as he saw them)
being practiced by the Catholic Church. Among these was the selling of
"indulgences", which were in effect a way of buying the forgiveness of
the Church and therefore avoiding purgatory. As far as I know-- which is
admittedly not much-- Luther agreed with the Pope of his time that
Christ was the only way to God, based on their interpretation of the
same passages in the Bible which folks quote today if they are inclined
to support this thought (for example John 14:5). (For my part, I think
Christ was speaking as the voice of the Eternal, and that indeed, all
humans, regardless of label or location, have the requisite equipment to
pay attention, and hear that voice)

d.

--
David William House

	"The Complete Biogas Handbook" www.completebiogas.com

	"No matter how far the material world advances, it cannot
	establish the happiness of mankind. Only when material and
	spiritual civilization are linked and coordinated will
	happiness be assured. Then material civilization will not
	contribute its energies to the forces of evil in destroying
	the oneness of humanity, for in material civilization good
	and evil advance together and maintain the same pace."
		'Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 109

	http://bahai.us