[permaculture] Creek remediation

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Tue Dec 18 22:21:36 EST 2007

The famous (in permaculture circles) Bullock brothers (Orcas Island,
Washington State, US) developed beaver "trouble" when the wetland they
restored evolved to a high level of biodiversity. The beavers probably
hadn't been there for a century, or since the wetland had been drained.
The Bullocks had planted fruit and nut trees near the water, and when
the beavers returned they chewed down a number of them. The Bullocks
were pretty unhappy, but they just took it as a lesson not to plant
food-producing plants near the water. There are plenty of species that
coppice nicely when beavers fell them. I suppose if a commercial
orchardist were hit by beavers, they might not be so sanguine. But since
the Bullocks in a very real sense called in the beavers, they weren't
about to harm them.

The wetland also attracted muskrats, which ate the cattails that the
Bullocks also likes to eat. But before long the habitat evolved to where
otters and eagles were eating the muskrats, and the cattails once again
came back in force. So we all figure the beavers will get balanced back
into the system before too long.

Factoid: Estimated population of beavers in the US Pacific Northwest in
1600: 400 Million (based on the number of pelts shipped to Europe).
Population by 1900: 9 million, when the fur-trapping industry collapsed.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com