[permaculture] Ferrocement water tank pix

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 15 01:02:39 EST 2007

The steel rebar and expanded metal lath give it strength and the mortar
gives it rigidity. The two combined make it VERY strong. Very large (130
f) ocean-going boats <http://www.ferrocement.org/> are made with this
technique (the Brits built a 120 foot submarine) and their walls are not
much thicker. Many homes are built with it.

This is my fifth tank and my second 10,000 gallon one. We intend to add
onto the tank a ferrocement room that wraps around a third of the tank
and will serve as a root cellar, storm shelter and spring house
(utilizing the overflow). The tank will be bermed about 3 feet high
around the rest of the circumference. Freezing has not damaged our
tanks, though the coldest climates would require more extensive berming
or partial burying.

The cylindrical shape itself is a principal source of strength as the
outward pressure is equalized over the entire surface. The overall
thickness is one to one and a half inches. The walls are not thicker at
the bottom of the wall than the top of the wall. The roof is the same
thickness. When empty, it rings like a bell when you whack it with a
rubber mallet. If you sing in it, it echoes nicely. A really lovely and
versatile material and well worth the embedded energy.

http://ferrocement.com/Page_1/english.html

http://www.ferrocement.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocement

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/ferro.htm

http://www.green-trust.org/2003/ferrocement/default.htm

http://www.eugenesargent.com/bench1.htm

The stone gutter you refer to WAS essential to direct a large flow of
water into a sinuous garden path that provided many infiltration points
to prevent erosion in a very erodable landscape.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild