[permaculture] frozen trees--report of beginning of recovery in Missouri

Kathy Evans evansdk at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 13:02:04 EDT 2007

I went for a hike yesterday and the hills were brown for mile after mile, with just dots of green here and there. I saw a mother redtail on her nest in a huge old oak tree, and when she flew away I saw two downy heads popping up. Like all the oaks, the tree had been frozen and was leafless. I wondered if they were more susceptible to predators since they were more visible with no leaves on the tree.
    But today, in my yard, I see that almost all my big oak trees have some little beginning of recovery. It's spotty, and they look better on the lower branches than the upper ones. They do not look robust by any stretch of the imagination, but most of them have at least some leaves the size of squirrels' ears or larger. Has anyone else seen any recovery?  Kathy, USA Midwest

Kathy Evans
evansdk at earthlink.net