[permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 18:48:17 EDT 2007

I have trees growing in very heavy clay soil. Two Satsuma plums in particular are growing in clay that has veins of pottery grade red clay and doing beautifully.  You can do a lot to prep the soil that you can find covered in any Permaculture text. Learn about pioneering plants with deep roots that pull up nutrients and loosen the soil and other things you can do.

 Also many fruit trees come grafted onto root stock. The trick is to find good sources of trees in your location where they know the best root stocks to graft the tree onto.  If you are going to graft your own trees or buy the trees already grafted research the root stocks they come on and make sure they are appropriate for your soil.

Where I live in the Central Coast of California, there is a wholesale nursery called Dave Wilson, where the rootstocks have been carefully researched for the local soils. I am sure there are similar companies in many locations. Avoid buying trees from nurseries at large chain stores and typical retail nurseries.  They often sell trees that will be totally inappropriate for your location.  I bet there is a lot of of information on rootstocks if you search the web.