[permaculture] Seedballs

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Thu Sep 14 02:35:01 EDT 2006

Darren Doherty wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I googled and found heaps of sites: I prefer to search thru the images
> pages: personal preference. Looks like seedballs.com is off the air..

Thanks Darren. I'll Google away. In the meantime I have a few questions
for the experts in this forum:

I have raised beds already planted in greens, lettuces, carrots and I need to overseed most of my beds soon
with spinach, cilantro, chard, oriental greens and a few other vegetable varieties. I can no longer
scarify a loose seedbed for this planting since all the bed surfaces are covered with seedlings. I
need to plant these larger seeds and make sure they are covered with dirt or humus somehow. They will, however, fall
under the stems and leaves of the many seedlings already in place and that may help ensure germination. I was wondering
exactly what kind of seedball mix I could make to combine with my seeds, in bulk. I would like to put this dry or
semi-dry mix in a hand crank seeder to distribute all across the raised bed tops, sides and furrows between. Or maybe I
could make a damp mix, put it in a bucket and distribute it by the handfull, manually. Any ideas? Materials I have on
hand are:
kelp meal, various fine quarry rock powders and a lot of natural potting soil used in starting seedlings in flats.
And ideas about this or links to websites would be appreciated.

Also, I need to hire a tractor opeator; do you all work this far away from home?
:-)
This is the farming system I need to maintain and the equipment used to do it:
http://market-farming.com/farmpix/raisedbeds/

LL