[permaculture] Field Transition

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Thu Oct 19 17:25:10 EDT 2006

Mathew Boerson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My partner and I recently signed on to caretake at a 350 acre farm in
> central Wisconsin that is the weekend retreat of the owner.  We will be
> moving there in the spring and look forward to a season of observation, but
> the owner would like some of the land worked sooner rather than later.  For
> the last few seasons, 50 acres have been rented out to a neighboring farm
> for corn, but the owner would like to transition out of that.  He does not,
> however, know what to transition into as farming is not his area of interst.
>
> I am learning as much as I can about permaculture, and have plans to take a
> design course in the next year or two, but at present I'm not in a position
> to make any concrete recommendations to the owner.  He has asked me what
> should be done and I fully intend to offer an opinion so as to avoid a
> conventional course of action.
>
> Could anyone offer a suggestion for a reasonable cover crop to follow corn?
> Zone 5, sandy to sandy loam soil.  There is a possible interest in horse
> pasture at some point in the future, but at this point anything that will be
> beneficial for the soil and cover it would be great.  Any recommendations
> for resources that would specifically address this situation?

Corn to any one of these combinations for the winter:
vetch/rye, clover - red, crimson, pea/rye
spring: soy/millet, vetch/millet or sorghum or milo or oats

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net
info at market-farming.com
Market Farming
http://market-farming.com
Venaura Farm, sustainably-grown produce & garden handtools
http://market-farming.com/venaurafarm
Venaura Farm's Blog
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/
Permaculture mailing list: