[permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

E. E. Mitchamore Jr emitch at att.net
Tue May 23 10:58:41 EDT 2006

Well said, and I agree, except for one thing:  Uniqueness.  I don't believe that "uniqueness" and "get(ing) along to work towards a solution and common good" are necessarily in conflict.  It's the competition (my way is better than yours, just because it's mine), that gets in the way.  Diversity is a strong theme of Permaculutre.  We should celebrate unique strengths and abilities in ourselves, as well as our plants, while learning to employ those strengths in cooperative fashion..

A local (Austin) example: A well-meaning group of fervent environmentalists recently spent a lot of money ($450,000), trying to get some changes made to the city charter to protect the local aquifers.  Their passion ultimately caused failure, as the proposed amendments went too far for the general public and energized the opposition.  Will they be able to regain a position of influence, or did insistence on "one way" do irreparable damage?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz