[permaculture] Rocky land & cold climate

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 10:42:58 EDT 2006

George,
Last year, just before the International Pc Convergence, 40
permaculturists toured Sepp and Veronika Holzer's rocky, cold-cllimate
Pc system in Austria and were amazed at the marvels of production and
abundance which they consistently generate. To learn more about their
work, pick up copies of his videos from Pc Activist
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/booksvid/vid%20dvd%20cd.htm and
visit his website at http://www.krameterhof.at/Englisch/anzeige.htm

For Sepp, rocks meant additional heat (from solar gain) and water
retention (as mulch) and much of his farm was tilled entirely by pigs.
He had 30,000 fruit trees which needed NO pruning, no spraying, no
fertilizer, and no irrigation. He has 70 aquaculture ponds and generates
all the electricity needed for his own and several neighbors needs. He
also grew lemons and olives at 4000 feet elevation. Sepp was fortunate
that he had a southern exposure and steep slopes that received excellent
insolation in the winter.
Keith

--
Keith Johnson