[permaculture] Lovelock:- Crazed old fool?

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Thu Jul 6 04:32:20 EDT 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 6:01 pm, Niels Corfield wrote:
 ] To overlook the nuclear issue is really to gloss over his politics.

 OTOH, to focus solely on it, and ignore the rest of what he
 has to say, may reveal an abundance about yours.

 You say that "he reckons we're all fucked already" despite him
 asserting, during pretty much every interview he's done in
 recent times, that this is most definitely *not* his view.  I haven't
 read TROG yet, but I don't expect to find those words in that
 tome ... not even in the epilogue.

 You say that :
 "... how he has offered to store all of  the UK's nuclear waste in
 his backgarden.   Since he somehow believes that the quantities
 will be so insignificant and the same is true for toxicity."

 Whereas in his interview with Mark Lawson recently, he made it
 quite clear he was happy to have some waste in his back yard,
 wrapped up, as it were, in a sizeable lump of concrete.

 I never got the impression he thought the total quantities being
 talked about were trivial, or that he'd want all waste shipped to that
 spot over there, between his clothes line and the compost bin.

 You say that:
 "/The Revenge of Gaia/ Why not just call it ... /Gaia 2 -the Sequel/
 /(this time it's for real!) or Gaia's II -She's Back! And She's Pissed!/"

 I'm not sure if you're suggesting the title of the book is too
 melodramatic (I don't believe it is - most people are hugely
 underestimating the problems coming up, and it is, after all,
 just an appellation) or if it's too much of a nod to pop culture,
 or perhaps it's just not *serious* enough for a book title.  The
 complaint does sound a smidgen petty, though.

 Disclaimer -- I'm not an advocate for all his beliefs, and I don't
 believe he has a Full And Complete Answer For Every Problem, but
 at the very least he's got an impressive track record of research, and
 an audience that's bigger than anyone else's on 'our side' has, with
 the consequence that he's likely to get a lot of people thinking about
 a lot of issues that we (generic) might consider both important and
 related.  I think it would be churlish to dismiss, and encourage
 others to dismiss, all his varied insights, thoughts, and suggestions
 merely because you happen to disagree with one of them.

 For my own part, I think nuclear fission is not a worthwhile
 investment of our rapidly dwindling resources, and I think there are
 other things he's revealed during his interviews that are far less
 encouraging than his pro-fission stance.

 Jedd.