[permaculture] Brushwood chipping & mulching - Forest products equipment

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Fri Dec 29 00:21:52 EST 2006

I seem to recall that Pain's chipper produces a fine sliver from wood,
resulting in more surface area, greater microbial activity, more heat
etc... would hog-fuel (as we call the below described material locally)
heat up as well?  I have gotten some heat off of arborist chips taken in
summer (good nitrogen content), and less off delivered hogfuel, but the
pile sitting in my driveway hasn't heated up.. perhaps due to inadequate
moisture... maybe high conifer content.  Given the size of Pain piles,
and the fineness of materials... is he going for anaerobic
decomposition?  What does a Pain pile smell like?  Has anyone here made
such a monsterous creature?
Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA