[permaculture] Re Wood Ashes as a soil amendment

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Sun Dec 17 15:18:18 EST 2006

Karen -

First off, it depends on what sort of wood ashes you are talking
about. Are you talking about hardwood ashes from a fireplace or wood
stove?

If so, I think that wood ash has a value to the soil that outweights
the dangers that recent posts have emphasized. You certainly don't
want to put a lot on and, if you have high pH like I have, you are
going to have to deal with that pH in some fashion, as well.

I'll post more information about the nutritional/biological value of
wood ash to this list as I get a chance. In the meantime, think
'slash and burn.' Fertility declines AFTER the ash is exhausted and
the ash does NOT inhibit germination or plant growth.

But I'll see what else others say and post it here.

Thanks

-Allan