[permaculture] Design like you give a damn

Charles de Matas cdematas at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:32:38 EDT 2006

Someone on this site recommended the book "Design like you give a damn".  I
received a copy last week: great book.  It gives many examples of how
architects and designers can play a role in providing emergency shelter to
refugees and victims of natural disasters, and in housing for low income
groups.  It was nice to see that people are using tensigrity or geodesic
designs for emergency shelters.  I've been interested in tensegrity
stuctures for some time.  When I got the book I started to try to build
small models of these structures.  After much trial and error I managed to
complete a small model of an expanded octahedron from sticks and string. I
hope I'll have the time to continue building models and trying larger ones
and finding uses for these things.

Charles