[permaculture] Investing

Michael Kramer MKramer at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 23:39:40 EDT 2005

Yes, William, there is a new index, it's called Wilderhill Clean Energy
Index (ticker PBW) and it's an index of the leading renewable energy
companies (wind, solar, hydrogen, biomass). It's very exciting to see such a
thing.

New Alternatives is a mutual fund that's been around a while, and while we
all love it's focus, its performance has been erratic. That could change. My
theory is that the reason it doesn't do well is that it's primarily in
renewable energy, and any sector-based fund has major highs and lows because
of the "domino effect" that often occurs when one company has a bad quarter
or a great earnings report. This is why diversification is the general rule
of investing and why good funds offer companies is a wide range of sectors.
There are other socially conscious mutual funds which hold renewable energy
(and many other good sectors such as organic food, recycled and
biodegradable products, natural health care products).

As far as water, it's not something I'm excited about - turning water into a
commodity - especially when people speak of it as the next "oil" in terms of
short supply and high demand. I'm in favor of local control of water because
it usually comes from a local source and can therefore be controlled by
locals; some energy supplies do not, however, so they are perhaps worthy of
"outside" investment (every community can't make solar panels, for example -
or could they?). I think ultimately what will happen is that groundwater
mining will destroy so many aquifers that desalination will become the next
big infrastructure movement (obviously primarily for coastal cities), and,
believe it or not, there's talk of a Canadian water pipeline down to the
Southwest. Talk about bizarre. One strategy we must deal with is getting
rainwater catchment to be legal, because it's not in many desert
communities, as that water is "reserved" for other uses and jurisdictions.
That being said, bottled water as an investment is a boom industry, and
there are also bond issues for municipalities which are making
infrastructure improvements to their water systems and utilities, which seem
to be appropriate investments.

Michael

-----
Michael Kramer, M.Ed., AIF (Accredited Investment Fiduciary)
Natural Investment Services
P.O. Box 390595
Keauhou, HI 96739

Michael at NaturalInvesting.com
www.NaturalInvesting.com
808-331-0910
Toll-free: 888-779-1500

Socially Conscious Portfolio Management & Hourly Consulting
Sustainability Strategic Planning and Education

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."