[permaculture] Educating the ignorant

Martin Naylor martinwnaylor at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 17 00:48:10 EDT 2005

too true their culture is a failure now,[although it was succesfull for 199,800 thousand years till we invaded and started the rape of the land]
 exactly the same as our culture is a total failure now

Marimike6 at cs.com wrote:
Graham writes "The more I see this header 'Re: [permaculture] Educating the
ignorant' the more deeply disturbed I feel by it. The more I look into myself
the more I realise how deeply ignorant and uneducated I am."

I can understand the feeling. But then how should we characterise a culture,
such as the rural culture of South Africa, that fails to afford its members
the opportunity to prosper within their environment? Is it not legitimate to say
that the culture has failed its members? After all, the people under
discussion are not being held up as members of a valid and satisfying way of life.
They are poor, uneducated, unhealthy and have many atavistic cultural traits that
from everything I've read and from what our informant here seems to be
saying, just do not help them toward personal fulfillment, wealth or happiness. They
live, for instance, in fear of one another and have one of the world's
highest violent crime rates.

And if we assert that, is it not legit to say that for so long as they fail
to find a way out of their dilemma, they are "ignorant" in the sense of lacking
a solution to their many problems? More specifically, are they not continuing
to be hungry and poor as they continue to degrade their environment?

I think it's a valid, although unflattering, approach. I think the culture
being described can usefully be defined as a "problem" in that doing so admits
the possibility of a "solution", But I'm open to argument.

Michael