[permaculture] Bliss, Idaho Design Course April 16-29, 06 Re: Designers for extreme cold?

L.Santoyo Designs santoyo at earthflow.com
Mon Oct 31 15:40:56 EST 2005

Vint et al,

We have a Permaculture Design Course scheduled for April 16 -29, 2006
in Bliss, Idaho...(yes, Bliss!) and we will, of course, be featuring
strategies, techniques and technologies for cold climates.
details coming soon -www.IdahoPermaculture.com.

For a decade of my life I homesteaded in "rustic elegance" in the
forests of the inland NorthWest. These days I am very much into the
greening movement in manufactured homes and the clean-lines of a more
modern design aesthetic -and I'm happy to say, I'm once again living
and enjoying the weather of California's beautiful Central Coast.

When I lived in the Great Northwest... I worked on the production
crew, for Tony Galen, Julian Russell and Bill Mollison, on the cold
climate segment of "The Global Gardener" video and have maintained
clients and projects there ever since... including the extreme
conditions of the Flathead Reservation.

Anyway...
I'd be happy to give you a list of plants, suitable for (most of) the
extremes of the inland Northwest that I compiled while working at
Bear Creak Nursery (back in the day) and am now using for a project
in Whitefish, Montana.
see -http://www.gaynorsinthewoods.com/OurStory.html

I'm not sure if he does any design work -but for plant info -Michael
Pilarski is a legend in the Northwest and is truly a "walking
encyclopedia" of botanical and ethnobotanical info...
see - http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/

Don't forget Jerome Ostentowski's infamous green house designs.
see - http://www.crmpi.org/

Most any super-insulated house should work well there... I just
finished a design for a single story load-bearing straw bale house
with radiant-floor-heat hooked into the water heater.  I recommend;
Building One House: A Handbook For Straw Bale Construction by
Nathaniel Corum, Red Feather Development Co.
see - http://redfeather.org/boh.html.

There is also a home builder in Livinston Montana that insulated a
grain silo to use as living space.
see - http://organicstyle.com/feature/0,8028,s1-37-0-0-1290,00.html

Good luck,

Larry