[permaculture] Spam & open source was Re: Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

Graham grahamburnett at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 13:42:43 EST 2005

I found that Thunderbird needs some training to spot the spam, but now
it scrapes away about 90% of the spam before it reaches my inbox. The
spam still goes into a 'junk' folder so that I can check that nothing
'genuine' slipped into it before properly deleting, but on the whole its
been much more effective than the 'third party' spam filters that I used
to use when I still used OE, which used to also delete loads of genuine
posts as well as the junk.

I'm still on the slow journey to open source software, mainly using Open
Office instead of Word now for writing, and have Ubuntu Linux installed
as dual boot, though i still mainly play with it rather than do serious
work... (but its only been installed for 2 weeks..) I feel that
idealogically I'm committed to the idea of open source, just that making
the transition is a slow process- one day, one day... Maybe I feel a bit
like a farmer whose tied into agribiz but wants to make the transition
to organics/permaculture...

Cheers Graham www.spiralseed.co.uk