[permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

webmaster at pfaf.org webmaster at pfaf.org
Sat Nov 26 04:02:14 EST 2005

Hi,
	My pov on the matter, is basically
yes to public archive readable by anyone
no  to personal details (i.e. email addresses) published.

If an email address is published anywhere on the public Internet
it will be found by spammers, as an example the plants for a future site
has been visited by 234 different robots in the last month (full list at
http://www.pfaf.org/admin/stats.php) many of these are search engines,
but some are most probably email harvesting programs.

I suspect the mail archive program probably has an option for not
showing email addresses. Another option is to use an email hiding
technique for instance webmaster at pfNOSPAMaf.org which might be settable
in the software.

A final point is that if people include their email address in the text
of a message or in a signature, then the address will appear even if
addresses are blocked. So I'm letting myself into all sorts of trouble
by including the signature below ;-).
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/