[permaculture] Soy, China, & Brazil

William Genest genest at pivot.net
Fri Nov 11 09:47:41 EST 2005

Man, that is depressing.

I don't see how it can be stopped. Any of it. In my province of
Quebec, 99% of the territiory is slated for clear cut forestry. I
think permaculture has more to do with training up as many people as
possible to be ready to rebuild once the inevitable consequences of a
cancer consuming its host come home to roost.

William

On Nov 11, 2005, at 6:43 AM, Jerome Rigot wrote:

> I thought this might be of interest to people on this list.
>
> No question that this is depressing news.
> However, it brings up questions that might be
> important to address, such as how permaculture
> can counter-balance such large-scale
> deforestation (and any other people-mediated
> ecological disasters), on a short-term and long-term basis.
> What can be done by people with a different
> vision of what a sustainable/regenerative future
> could be, to mitigate such large-scale, greed-based development?
>
> Many more questions come to mind. Jerome
>

>> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:00:18 -0500
>> From: Sarah Garlington <sarahbgarlington at hotmail.com>
>> Subject: [COMFOOD:] Soy, China, & Brazil
>>
>> Thought this might be of interest.
>>
>> Jonathan Watts in Santarem, the Amazon
>> Thursday November 10, 2005
>> The Guardian
>>
>> The new China

>> -----------
>> A hunger eating up the world
>>
>> China's insatiable demand for proteins as well
>> as oil is turning Brazil into the takeaway for
>> the workforce of the world. In the second part
>> of our series, we reveal how the soya trade is
>> creating a gold rush which is deforesting the Amazon
>>
>> A smoky haze blurs the frontier between the
>> world's mightiest forest and its biggest threat:
>> the humble soya bean. The four-month burning
>> season in the Amazon is when the giant trees
>> felled to make space for crops are slowly
>> reduced to ashes. Even after being slashed and
>> burned, the trunks of the tauari and maçaranduba
>> are so huge that their embers glow on and off
>> for more than two years. Some are left to burn
>> where they stand, creating giant pillars of
>> charcoal stretching 30 metres into the sky.
>>

>> You cannot see the wood for the beans in an
>> ever-widening expanse of the Amazon, and it is
>> increasingly thanks to China. Brazil's boom crop
>> and China's growing appetite are clearing more
>> forest than logging, cattle farming and mining.
>> It is one of the more remarkable developments of
>> a globalised world in which Brazil is rapidly
>> becoming the takeaway for the workforce of the world.
>> Travelling from Beijing to a farm in the heart
>> of the Amazon showed how far China's reach has
>> extended. It took five flights and nearly three
>> days to reach Santarem, followed by a two-hour drive.
>>
>> The farmers had also come a long way and at
>> great risk to be here. The Bonettis are from
>> Italian stock. Just as their forebears gave up
>> everything to move from Europe to the new world,
>> they too quit their jobs two years ago and sold
>> their land in the south of Brazil so that they
>> could join the soya gold rush thousands of miles
>> north. They now live in an Amazonian wilderness,
>> where the father, a former computer programmer,
>> hunts wild boar for supper while his wife keeps
>> their child from roaming into a jungle of
>> tarantulas and jaguars. Legally their position
>> is tenuous, as the government has granted no
>> approval for clearance of land in this area.

> [...]

Best Regards,

  William Genest

  - Founder  Green Mountain Permaculture Institute of Vermont
Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability
www.greenmountainpermaculture.com

- Creator  "Regeneration - The Art of Sustainable Living"
 From "Something-Must-be-Done" to Something we can do !
www.regenerationshow.com

- Ecological Coordinator
Club St.Paul Ecological Golf Course

- Vice-President  Green Party of Quebec "pour nous et nos enfants"
www.pvq.qc.ca

- National Spokesperson Green Party of Canada
"The Future is Now ! "
www.greenparty.ca