[permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Sat Aug 20 14:12:22 EDT 2005

> Re: [permaculture] "Free" Permacuture
> From:
> DAVIDMATTHEWEDGE at aol.com
> Date:
> Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:18:50 EDT
> To:
> permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To:
> permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org
>

>Selwyn Polit,
>Austin, Texas USA wrote:
>
>"Hi,
>that phenomenon seems to be around here in Texas."
>
>I'm not surprised that the idea has taken root in Texas.  When I took  my
>design course from Scott Pittman and Bill Mollison near Austin at Fossil Rim
>(then home of Cross Timbers PC institute) in 1996, it was specifically mentioned
>to all course participants by one or the other (or both) of them.
>
>The idea was that PDC graduates could attend same- or inferior-level (i.e.
>fundamentals, introdouctory, etc.) courses and pay only room and board.  It
>was said to have been the case from the beginning of PC instruction.
>
>Maybe this can shed some light on the origin of the idea.
>
>David,
>Vendée, France

OK, Ok!! I'll take twenty percent responsibility, the other eighty
percent must accrue to Bill Mollison who started the idea in the first
place!!, it goes like this...

Any graduate of a pc certification class is welcome to audit future
courses as long as 1. the course has space for said graduate, 2. the
said graduate pays for any additional expenses for being at the course -
with the exception of instructor fees, which are waived, (the teaching
fees are waived because the course has reached the numbers necessary to
convene - for me that is ten students), 3. graduate auditor  may not
dominate the class with questions, and monologues designed to show off
his or her knowledge, 4. the said graduate produces his PC Certificate
at enrollment, and the person issueing the certificate is considered
qualified to issue such certificate by the course instructor.  The
purpose of this "not so free" audit was to encourage teachers, who would
be able to experience many different styles, and pedagogical methods and
thereby feel more at ease launching into the teaching field.  I still
think that we are way shy on teachers and that any encouragement should
be gladly given.  Having said that it is and always has been up to the
discretion of the teacher, who should, however, be prepared to give good
reasons why auditing is not allowed, and I don't think the old /in loco
parentis /ploy of "because I say so" carries much weight.  I have
attended many such courses as an auditor, and sometimes contributor and
will continue to do so, since I always come away enriched with both new
knowledge and better ways to convey such knowledge.  Larry Santoyo has
certainly enriched my teaching and thinking just sitting quietly in the
back of his classroom.

In most professions the practicioners are required to take courses or
practicums that keep them current in their field - I don't see that
permaculture should be immune from this need.

my 2 cents,
SCott Pittman