[permaculture] Lions and elephants on the Great Plains?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Fri Aug 19 23:15:47 EDT 2005

Toby Hemenway wrote:

> I'm not really into the idea of bringing large carnivores back, but maybe
> big herbivores? How about back-cloning some mastodons or other biggies from
> the pliocene/pleistocene and giving these lonely fruits some company?

Populate the American Prairie and similar regional lands elsewhere with
low-input, sustainably-grown grass-fed buffalo and bison.  Harvest to
control populations as needed; market meat within each region - profits
get plowed back into the willdcrafted, sustainably-grown,
sustainably-harvested native livestock production system.