[permaculture] using municipal sewer sludge

bmn at iglou.com bmn at iglou.com
Mon Sep 27 17:30:43 EDT 2004

roxann wrote:

> have there been any studies done on pharmaceutical
> traces/accumulation in the sludge?  A frightening amount of drugs are
> eliminated from a city population's body each day into the sewer... I
> know the prozac is now beginning to show up in Texas's water supply,
> but I've never heard anything about how much of it or other drugs
> might also be in sewer sludge. Treatment plants are not set up to
> deal with this type of contamination.

That is correct...they are not...and I don't think you'll see that any
time soon.  Unfortunately, with more pressure to "treat" sewage and sell
the remaining sludge cake (processed into pellets or not), you're seeing
a lot more in print about how safe it is for
application--afterall...it's been "tested". True enough, they run some
chems...however, federal standards do not address a myriad of chemical
consituents...and testing for even a few is VERY cost prohibitive.
Federal standards don't even address endochrine disruptors well, let
alone have municipalities test for them.  To a permaculturist, sewage is
simple human waste and maybe a little water.  Sewage in the standard
sense is a toxic brew and should be treated as such until such time as
there are valid alternatives to current practices.  Sadly, my former
agency plans to sell its pellets to the public soon, and has been
testing it in some areas for a few years.