[permaculture] clay liner for pond

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 19:00:50 EST 2004

Hello pond builders,

I'm thinking about building a pond around 150 ft long and 60 ft wide here in northern California mainly for irrigation water storage.  There is a lot of protruding metamorphic and sandstone rock on the perimeter of the site, but the site itself has a high clay content.  I've dug about 2.5 ft down and found only a few, very small remnants of sandstone.  Assuming that the bedrock is sandstone, how much clay do I need to leave above the sandstone in order to seal the pond?  How deep does the pond need to be in order to have a reasonable amount of storage (the Summers are very hot in Ukiah)?

Thanks for any ideas,

Rain