[permaculture] Really Cold of Greece

Claude William Genest genest at pivot.net
Thu Jan 8 13:01:45 EST 2004

1.South facing trombe wall ( basically a plexiglass/plastic wall in
front of the stone wall to trap solar gain and transfer heat to thermal
mass of stone - cheaper version would be a plastic hoophouse/greenhouse
and this would be a more functional choice since it would encourage
food production)
2. Windbreaks
3. Insulate roof ( if this isn't done it's number one thing to
do...trust me, I'm Canadian and it's minus 34 with the wind today !!)
and north wall ( which may be direction of predominant wind ?)
4. Insulate walls from within
4. Cheapie solar collector thingie-watchmacallits - can't think of it
right now and too long to describe.... Basically a sealed, sun
gathering box with an exhaust pipe into the house

5. Since your slope is North east ( type 1 error !!) your southern
exposure may be seriously limited so you may have to get creative with
your roof...e.g. solar hot water and then use that hot water to heat up
things in the house....tanks, baths, poly pipe through floor, steam,
SAUNA...etc. etc....

6. Move to Canada where you'll be nice and toasty warm :-)

7. Three Dog Nights

8. Cob your south wall

9. Straw bale your north wall

8. Combos of all of the above....