[permaculture] [Fwd: Simon Henderson update]

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 16 17:29:25 EST 2004

Simon Henderson has more than twenty years of experience in documenting
traditional agriculture systems throughout the world. He traveled fairly
extensively in  tropical regions studying bamboo'ss botanical
characteristics and uses by many cultures.  In 1995 he established a
bamboo agroforestry research farm where his  friends continue to
conduct varietal trials on more than 30 species of bamboo. Simon has
consulted for bamboo projects throughout Asia, Central America and the
US. He  carries, with his fellows of Bamboo Nation and  Bamboo People,
Daphne Lewis and Stuart  Brune  (Bamboo Research Station at Coyote Ranch
near Stanwood, WA, USA), a vision of  bamboo as an element woven into
Permaculture agroforestry and human cultural life. Simon will be
remembered as an inspired Permaculture designer/educator and for his
extensive writing on bamboo in the agricultural landscape.Read his
Raising the Dragon: Bamboo Agroforestry in Southeast Asia or an article
by him at  http://www.permaearth.org/bamboo.html

Simon, his colleagues, and fellow bambuseros have focused on urban
gardening with bamboo introducing bamboo as a plant of world
significance. They maintain  nurseries and offer instruction in
installation, maintenance and harvesting of shoots and poles.

Rick Valley and the gang in the NW USA knew him far better than I,
though I would have enjoyed spending more time with him and on his
projects. He's worked with Toby Hemenway, Michael Pilarski, the
Bullocks, Larry Santoyo, Jude Hobbs, John Schinnerer, Doug Abberly, the
folks at Lost Valley, Jonathan Scherch, and many others. He helped
awaken a lot of people to wonderful plants and to Permaculture. He also
appears briefly in the Global Gardener video delivering strawberries to
Cascadian Farms. May we all join him, his students and friends in
keeping all his good works alive and thriving.

You can see a picture of Simon at http://fertileground.org/community/bamboo/
More at :  http://www.wildthymefarm.com/agrobamboo.html

--
Keith Johnson